If you are a carer, you might find it difficult to access our services without extra support.
If you identify yourself as a carer, our staff will try to offer you:
- Flexibility or priority on appointment times where possible.
- Support for the person you care for in the waiting room or a private area if you need to bring them to the surgery but would like an appointment in private.
- Information about local carers support services which may be able to arrange transport and/or sitting services to help you leave home to attend surgery.
- Help and advice concerning ordering for prescriptions.
- An annual flu jab.
- Information about your right to a Carers’ Assessment of your own needs as a carer.
- Advice on safer lifting and other aspects of providing care such as medication.
- Discussing with you what you would like us to do in the event of you or the person you care for having a medical or other emergency.
- The opportunity to have your contact details record so we can contact you rapidly in case of a medical or other emergency
In some cases caring roles are full time and very demanding. We would like to support you in your caring role where we can. We will avoid making assumptions about the amount of care you wish to take on.
Caring should not be at the expense of your own health and wellbeing. Please tell us how your caring role is affecting you and if you have any support needs.
We will try to help you by:
- Respecting your privacy and confidentiality and conducting conversations of a personal nature in private.
- Discussing the benefits of appropriate information sharing with patients who need or may in future need care from a relative or friend.
- Providing you with information about the condition and needs of the person you care for, such as the effects of medication, where that person gives consent.
- Always listening to and respecting the information you give us about your caring role and the needs of the person you care for.
- Providing you with general information about health conditions when you ask for it when we do not have consent from the person you care for to share their personal information.
Our Carers Lead is Dr Nicky Wilson and Wendy Mann is the Carers Administrator but you may speak to any of the receptionists.
Please contact us if you have any queries about our support for carers.
We will be happy to help and treat the conversation in strictest confidence.